Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Word about our sponsors

I'm fortunate to have such great race sponsors. Marathon & Beyond magazine is providing advertising, mini-subscriptions, running socks, and a rain poncho. It doesn't get any better than that! M&B is the best source for in-depth information about marathons and ultrarunning. I have every issue going back over ten years. I'm proud of my collection and look forward to every new issue. You couldn't ask for a better person to represent a running magazine than Jan.

Second Wind Running Club is the Champaign-Urbana running club that hosts the race. They provide liability insurance, advertising, volunteers, money, and emotional support. As a non-profit RRCA organization, the club supports running in the community through fun runs, club newsletter and web site, races, and training programs. I've been a member for a number of years. I've also been on the board of directors...and even president for two years. They're a good group and I'm glad they agreed to add Clinton Lake to their busy racing schedule. It's not easy to start a new race, but with the club's support we've managed to get Clinton Lake off to a great start. The club is a non-profit organization so any race profits are channeled back to club activities. Any losses are sucked up by the club. Many ultramarathons lose money. I was fortunate to make a very small profit last year.

Body n' Sole Sports is our local running store. I'm sure they have a bundle of other products, but I only pay attention to their fine selection of running apparel, shoes, and running related accessories. Their staff are knowledgeable and friendly. If they don't have the specific product you are looking for, they'll order it. In addition to offering great running products, they support and sponsor races all over central Illinois...including the Clinton Lake ultra. Without their support I would never be able to provide high quality shirts and random give-aways. Mike and Jed really do care about runners and running.

Succeed! Sports Drink is owned by an ultrarunner and it shows. Karl has been a great supporter of the race from day one. We get Succeed! Ultra Sports Drink and Succeed! S-Caps for the race. Wonderful products for ultrarunners. It doesn't hurt that Karl is a University of Illinois graduate too. Go Illini!

A race can't exist without sponsors and volunteers. I have some of the best. If you want to sponsor the race, let me know. There is always room for one more sponsor. Maybe even two.

No comments: