Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ted Corbitt

I have been so busy this week at work, I missed the passing of Ted Corbitt--one of the best and most influential distance runners of all time. Certainly one of the earliest ultrarunners in the US. Ted passed away yesterday at the age of 88. Nice article in the NT Times today. He was one of the founders of the RRCA and he held numerous US track records at various distances from 25K to 100 miles. He continued to run late in life and recently ran 303 miles in a 6-day race at the age of 82. It's estimated that he finished about 200 marathons or ultramarathons. Pretty impressive dude. I'm putting on my own 7-day trail race in June 2008 and hope to break 350 miles. Corbitt probably would have smoked me even at the age of 88! Rest in peace Ted. The running world will miss you.

No comments: