Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Howl at the Moon 8-Hour Ultra

A few people have been asking me when the registration for Howl at the Moon will open. The Kennekuk Road Runners tell me it will open up on April 26 (online and paper forms available). This was my very first ultramarathon in 2000 and I still love the race. I've done it every year since (except when I broke my foot in 2004 and volunteered instead). My goal this year is 50 miles in 8 hours. Tough for mid-August in central Illinois. The heat, sun, and humidity really wear you down. Not to mention the 8 hours of running/walking! This is a premier timed event. If you've never run a timed event (6-hour, 8-hour, 12-hour, 24-hour, etc) I strongly encourage you to try Howl at the Moon on Saturday, August 9. You can do as few or as many miles as you want. It's a 3.29 mile loop course on mostly grass and dirt paths, plus some roads within the park. Two aid stations (and your car) on each loop means great support. The race is the largest timed ultra in the country (about 300 runners/walkers), and it closes pretty darn quickly. Get your entry in soon after April 26. You won't regret it. Marc & Deb (plus the rest of the Kennekuk clan) will treat you right.

My personal Howl at the Moon Statistics (7 events):
Low: 37.81 (2000)
High: 47.06 (2006)
Total Miles: 304.14
Average Miles: 43.45
Goal for 2008: 50 miles!

PS: The only reason this fantastic race isn't part of the Illinois Trail Ultra Grand Slam is that I don't consider it a trail ultra.

No comments: