Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sandy Memorial Run

This afternoon I head out with some friends to the Smoky Mountains.  We'll hike 20+ miles each day and return on Monday night.  It should be fun.  But I have "business" to finish before I leave this afternoon...today is the anniversary of my sister Sandy's death.  It's been 4 years.  I still miss her a lot.  Each Earth Day (that's today) I have committed to doing a memorial run in her honor.  Last year I ran 47 miles (she was 47 when she passed away)...this year I'm planning on 47 kilometers.  Sorry sis, I don't think I can get in a full 47 miles before I leave.  Hopefully 47 kilometers (29.2) miles will suffice.  But I'll be thinking of you as I hike down in Tennessee over the next few days.

Like last year, I'll also donate $47 to the local humane society in Sandy's name.  She loved the outdoors and animals.  Seems like running 47 km on local trails and donating to the nearby animal shelter is a good way to remember my sister.  Over the next few days I'll be getting in a bunch of great hiking in the Smoky Mountains...she would have liked that too.  After each long hike, I'll raise a few beers in her memory.  Hiking and drinking...I think Sandy would approve...as long as they were good beers and hikes through beautiful country.

You too should get out on this Earth Day and celebrate life.  Be thankful for your good health.  Enjoy a nice trail run.  Recycle, reuse, and reduce your impact on Mother Earth.  You know the drill.

I'll post a quick update on how the day went when I return.  I hope to have the 47K done before lunch. 

UPDATE:  I'm done. Ran 47K in 5:43.  Not too bad.  It was a wonderful morning on the trails. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are great ways to remember your sister. I'd certainly be very happy if I knew that when I'm gone people will run, hike, and donate money to animals in my honor. Enjoy your time in the mountains!

Chris Ⓥ said...

Thanks Jason. It was a good memorial run.