Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 6: The Coyote

Yesterday, I ran 7 miles in the morning and that was my total mileage for day 6 of the Buffalo Trace 7-Day Stage Race.  Not impressive...but I did spy a special treat...at the 1.5 mile mark, a coyote ran across the trail about 10 yards ahead of me!  This is only the third time I've seen a coyote on the course.  I've seen many footprints in the winter snow, I've occasionally heard them barking or howling at night, but rarely do I see one on the course.  I saw my first one a few years ago around the 1/4 mile point on the trail.  The second was seen in "coyote lane" (around mile 2).  It's too bad that the grass at mile 1.5 is so high and thick--not to mention being mixed with other vegetation--otherwise I could have followed the coyote's movement through the prairie.  Unfortunately, this sucker moved quickly across the trail, entered the thick grass, and was gone.  I imagined seeing this fellow again on coyote lane, but it wasn't in the cards today.  The rest of the run was uneventful.  But I have my memories of a lone coyote on day 6 of 7.

Day 6 Miles: 7 (47% of goal)
Week Total: 86 (78% on target)

No comments: