Monday, June 27, 2011

Sick or Allergies?

I've been feeling crappy the last 4-5 days.  I even took 2 full days off from running...but it didn't help.  I still feel tired, lethargic, and "not quite right" in the head and lungs.  Friends might say I'm never quite right in the head...but I'm talking about being sort of stuffed up and congested.  Not a full-blown cold...just "not quite right."  I took an Alavert this morning and will continue to do so the rest of this week.  If it's allergies that are bugging me, I should feel better after a day or two.  If it's something more, then I'll probably have full symptoms in a day or two.  Or maybe my body will fight it off and I'll be fine by mid-week.  I skipped the 5-hour trail run with the Kennekuk Road Runners this past weekend...and that was a good choice.  That tough Clear Pond trail would have killed me!  I'm planning on consistent, easy runs this whole week.  Nothing too long, nothing too fast.  I did 3 miles on the treadmill this morning...and I felt rather lousy.  Hope the allergy medication helps.  I'd like to get in a few long runs in the next 4-6 weeks.  Howl at the Moon 8-Hour race is less than 7 weeks away.  Easy 5 mile runs aren't going to get me ready to run for 8 hours in the summer heat and humidity! 

3 comments:

jeff said...

easy 5 mile days may not get you to "Howl" fit condition but they can get you well in a couple weeks then 4 longer runs , one a week, you'll be pretty fit for Howl...you already know how to run fast...you need to learn how to run slower.

Chris Ⓥ said...

True enough Mr Riddle. I need to do consistent easy running supplemented with long runs each week. Double days would be fine as long as they are easy. I can probably get rid of any speedwork (even Malmo style "under control" speed sessions are not really needed for Howl). Lots of runs under 150 HR. My new training is Malmo-Riddle-VanAaken style!

Alvin Payne said...

Is it sick? Or is it allergies. Find out. allergy federal way, where you can know if it's just something in the air, or if you have something in the air of your system. Great blog, and keep on posting.