Sunday, September 1, 2019

Running Gratitude

I'm grateful.

About 2 weeks ago I ran too fast and hurt my knee. Took a few days off, then came back easy. It healed. Then this past week I ran too hard (again). I got sick the next day. High fever, chills, sweats. It wasn't pleasant. But it only lasted 2 days. Missed a few days of running, but I'm back again.

I'm grateful. My recent injury and illness were short-term. I'm back to normal. Actually, better than normal. I have a new appreciation for my general good health and fitness. I can run. At times I become arrogant and want to push harder to prove I can run fast. Prove that I still "have it." With age comes wisdom, but it also brings doubts. Aging encourages comparisons to a younger self. Those comparisons are rarely positive. Lying sick in bed, I was able to reflect on why I was sick...and why I was injured earlier. It was me. It was me trying to be something I'm not. I need to be happy with who I am as a runner. Today. Live day by day in the present. To stay healthy, fit, and happy, I need to accept myself and be grateful for all that my body can achieve. Today. It's not about a better tomorrow. It's about a great today.

I want to be a healthy and happy runner. Temporarily losing my health helped me re-focus on what is important. Now, I'm grateful that I can run every day. Short, long, fast, slow. Simple running, for myself, is all I need. Time to live in the present.

No comments: