Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Heartland Harvest 5k Race Recap

I ran the Heartland Harvest 5K race this past Saturday. It's a race to raise scholarship funds for Heartland students. Finished with a time of 21:18. Slowest 5k race time ever. But is was very windy. And my last 5K race was a year ago. I was not ready to run fast. Still, I was 6th overall and first in my age group. Not too bad! There were 80 runners (plus many walkers). So I finished in the top 10% of all runners. Again, not too bad. Next year I can do better. Sub 21.

Unfortunately, I have no GPS watch data because my Garmin 235 watch downloaded my warm-up run, then tried to update software. And got stuck in an update cycle that never stopped. After the race was over, I realized I could press and hold the light button to reset the watch. It worked. Too late, but I'll know what to do next time.

In terms of effort, I felt like I was running slightly faster than threshold/tempo pace. Probably a HR of about 160-165. I was breathing pretty hard. For a 5K race, I should have pushed harder. Oh well. Live and learn. Next time I'll actually have my heart rate, power, and pace data to guide me. And I'll throw in speed work before the race. What won't change is my shoes--I ran in Hoka Rincons. They continue to amaze me. Light, cushioned, and responsive. Great shoe!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
It be great if you did a review of the Hoka Rincon comparing them to your other shoes (Beacons etc). Cheers Steve

Chris Ⓥ said...

Good request. I love the Rincons! Just _slightly_ narrow in the forefoot, otherwise perfect. Just bought a pair of Skechers GoRun Ride 8 (hyper). Once I run in those, I'll compare to Rincons. I think Hoka Rincon is a great half-marathon shoe. I'd use it for 5k and 10Ks too. Probably not a full marathon. My guess is the new Skechers Ride 8s will be more cushioned, but still lightweight.

Anonymous said...

Great let me know what your thoughts of the Skechers Gorun ride 8. Doctor of running and jameison micheal did a great youtube review. I ended up finding my Reebok harmony Road 3 too harsh on the forefoot for me - so just everyday work shoe. So now use new balance propel as the daily trainer and Rincons as my fast shoe.
Cheers
Steve

Anonymous said...

Any runs in the Skechers Gorun ride 8 yet, any initial thoughts? Thanks

Chris Ⓥ said...

Skechers GoRun Ride 8s arrive today. Will run in them tomorrow. All the reviews I've seen are very positive.