Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Skechers GoRun Ride 8 Hyper Shoe Review

Skechers GoRun Ride 8 Hyper
I've run in Skechers Performance shoes for many years. Like as long as Meb! I still remember the first version of the GoRun and GoRun Rides. This 8th version of the GoRun Ride with the new Hyper Burst foam is quite nice. Here are my initial thoughts after 50 miles.

I've run a trail marathon in the new Skechers GoRun Ride 8 Hypers, plus a few short treadmill, road, and dirt path routes. The marathon was at Tunnel Hill--basically a smooth rails-to-trails course. I've had absolutely no problems with the fit, ride, or performance. It's a solid neutral trainer that can also be used for racing. Have not pushed the pace super hard, but these shoes can go very easy (run/walk Maffetone style low heart rate) or tempo pace, or just your basic daily run. For racing, I would use them for half-marathon or longer events. Probably better/faster shoes for shorter races. For the half-marathon, I'd be hard pressed to pick between my Hoka Rincons and these Ride 8s.

What do I like and dislike about the GoRun Ride 8s?

PROS:
  • Reasonably lightweight and flexible in toe area (stable elsewhere)
  • Nice fit with wider toebox (than the Ride 7), also true to size
  • Upper creates a secure fit, stretches well for toes, is breathable, and looks good!
  • Hyper Burst midsole provides firm cushioning that is responsive
  • Goodyear rubber outsole seems durable and grips well
  • 6mm drop works great (33mm heel, 27mm forefoot) 
CONS:
  • Would like it to be slightly lighter (8.7oz in US 9, 11.7oz in US13)
  • Should be cheaper (fair at $120, but Skechers keeps raising their prices)

The Ride 8 Hyper will be my go-to shoe for almost everything except technical trails and short races. They are my favorite shoe of 2019. Well, that darn Hoka Rincon is sweet too! I'll do an updated review when I break 100 miles.

No comments: