 |
| The red barn at Howl |
Yesterday I "ran" the Howl at the Moon 8-Hour ultra in Danville, IL. It was my 19th time. And it ended poorly after just 6 loops (19.5 miles). I was not injured. Was not ill. Just tired, bored, and unmotivated. Also untrained. My longest run of the year had been 14 miles...in January! With the heat and humidity, my lack of miles really showed. I was unhappy and realized this was not for me. I walked the entire 6th loop. In addition to being unprepared, I really missed the vibe that came with previous Howl races. I used to know most of the volunteers and scorers. And I knew 20-30 runners. We'd pass each other and offer encouragement. It was fun. It was motivating. No more. I knew maybe 6 runners this year and no volunteers. This race is not the same as it was. I've changed too. If I'm not motivated, or at least enjoying the run, I will stop. I call that wisdom. I don't have anything to prove.
This was my 19th Howl at the Moon. And probably my last. I have 707 miles over the years at Howl, averaging over 37 miles each year. Twice I hit 47 miles! Yesterday was 19.5 miles. I have fallen. And I don't think I'll get up for another Howl.
I'm currently stuck at 113 ultra/marathons. Haven't completed an ultra in 2 years and I would like to add to that total. Think I'll try for Allerton free ultra in October...and Winter Solstice 30 miler in December. Free ultra runs with lots of friends. Sounds good!
No comments:
Post a Comment