Thursday, January 4, 2018

Running Goals for 2018

It's time to set running goals for the new year. They need to be specific, measurable, achievable, and time-bound. I can't just say "Run more miles" or "Run Clinton Lake trail more often" as goals. Those goals would need to be specific--like run 1500 miles in 2018 or run the Clinton Lake north fork trail at least once per month. Lose wight? Nope. How much weight in what time period? Similarly, I can't say "Run faster in 2018." What does "fast" mean? Maybe "Run at least 3 miles under 7:30 pace once per week." How about "Be more social with my running"--is that a good goal? No. Needs to be specific and measurable. Transform it into "Run with a group (at least two others runners) once per week all year." I'd love to proclaim that I'll "Run across the Grand Canyon and back in less than 6 hours" but that is not achievable. Doing a R2R2R in one day (less than 24 hours) would be doable.

Goals need to be specific, measurable, achievable, and time-bound.

My goals that I'd like to achieve before the end of 2018:

1. Run more than 1,500 miles.
2. Complete at least 24 long runs (10+ miles).
3. Don't take more than 2 consecutive days off from running.
4. Complete at least 2 ultra-marathons (>26.2 miles).
5. Have one run longer than 36.56 miles.

Basically, 2018 will be a year of consistent running that involves more miles including regular long runs and a couple of ultras. I'd like to set a personal best in the half-marathon (currently 1:32:35), but I cannot commit to that time goal. With more miles and long runs, that HM goal may take care of itself. Right? If not, at least I'll beat Joe at the Illinois half-marathon in April! And I'll beat Jeff and Gregg. And Mark and Nicole.

No comments: