Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Did I Meet My 2019 Running Goals?

On January 3, I set my running goals for the year (blog post here). They seemed reasonable. Challenging, but doable. In 2018 I failed at all of my five goals. So, in 2019, I set the same darn goals! Certainly I couldn't fail at them again. Right? If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Failures in 2018 simply built the foundation for 2019 success, right?

Well, how did this year go?

Goal #1: Run more than 1500 miles.
On December 31, I sit at 1420 miles. Haven't run today, but I'm fairly sure I won't do 80 miles. So, I failed at this goal. It was better than last year (1138 miles), but not quite what I intended.

Goal #2: Complete at least 24 long runs of 10+ miles. 
I completed 36 runs of at least 10 miles in 2019! Yes, this goal was achieved! I did a lot of 10-13 mile runs this year. Only three of those were longer than 13.5 miles. Kinda sad that I didn't run farther. But, for this goal, it was a major success. I'll take it.

Goal #3: Don't take more than 2 consecutive days off from running.
My longest non-running streak of 2019 was 3 days. Damn, that was close! Missed this goal by one day. Failure. I'm proud of not missing too many days in a row, but I should have, and could have, done better. I'm never a long run streaker, but I have gotten good at not missing too many days.

Goal #4: Complete at least 2 ultramarathons.
Nope. No ultras this year. Plus, only one marathon. Failure. I did enter several ultras, like Riddle Run 28M, Howl at the Moon 8-hour, Tunnel Hill 50M, and Last Man Standing...but dropped out before nailing an ultra distance. Sad, but this will be corrected in 2020!

Goal #5: Have one run longer than 36.56 miles.
My longest run was a marathon. That is less than 36.56 miles. Another failure. I'm positive 2020 will have a run/race longer than a marathon. Longer than 50K? 50M? 100K? 100M? Not sure.

Dang, this year I achieved only 1 of 5 running goals. Better than 2018 when I failed at 5 of 5 goals. Progress! I believe 2020 will be even better.

No comments: