Saturday, September 30, 2023

September 2023: Less Miles, More Speed

September was my lowest mileage I've run in past 6 months (only 95 miles). Intentionally, I tried to rest more, but also run harder/faster. That meant less miles overall but at faster paces. I'm trying to get ready for 2 trail races in October: Aruna 5K on Oct 14 and Allerton Trail 5.7M on Oct 29. We'll see if this strategy worked in 2 weeks. Then another 2 weeks for race two! The graph above on right side shows power bands. Dark green is very easy, then light green (basic aerobic), then yellow is tempo, orange and red are fast intervals. Compared to last few months, I had a lot less dark green and a lot more yellow-orange-red. Average pace for the month was also fastest in 6 months. I feel like I'm getting faster, but you never know until race day! Trails can be deceiving when it comes to paces, so I think my "real pace" is actually faster than reported (if done on roads). The races are on trails so my training is on trails! Plus, trails keep me injury-free. 

As part of my September speed push, I did three time trials (not races). Happy with the results:

1-mile = 6:05
5K = 22:36
10K = 45:25

October tends to be one of the best months of the year for running. Cooler weather and nicely groomed trails. I'll run more miles this month...and also keep speed work in the mix. Maybe another attempt at breaking 6:00 for the mile. Plus 2 races. It'll be a great month! 

No comments: