Sunday, January 7, 2024

My 2024 Running Goals

I've been sick all of 2024 (7 days). Not feeling optimistic about this year and my running. Guess having a sore throat, hacking cough, and fever will make you a little pessimistic about the future. On the positive side, it's been a good break from running and my body should be recovered and ready for future training. Assuming I have any lung capacity left! Damn illness. 

Here were my goals for 2023. And here is my reflection on those goals at the end of 2023. 

So, what should I do this year? Will 2024 be better than 2023? Looking back on previous running goals, I always had a mixture of process goals (run at least 4 times/week, don't miss more than 2 days in a row, do speed work once week, etc.) and outcomes goals (run a 6:00 mile, win the Riddle Run 28 miler, set a 5K personal best, etc.). This year is all about outcomes! Who cares how I get there? Let's set goals and do whatever it takes to get there. So here goes:

1. Finish top 10 in the Mahomet 5K road race. I'm normally top 20, but not top 10. Once I made it into 9th place. I want that again! This is not a fast course due to hills and hot weather, but placing doesn't depend on fast times, just faster than your competition. I'm not great in the heat, but this is my "home" course and I'll rise to the challenge. 

2. Run a 6:21 mile (McMillan equivalent to 3:35 marathon). I think I can beat this time on the roads, KRT, and track. Maybe I'll try for the trifecta! I used to want to beat 6:00, but that's getting REALY hard as I age. This is a good time goal. Not easy, but achievable. Think it might be my easiest goal. 

3. Run 1:42:10 in the half-marathon on the KRT (McMillan equivalent to 3:35 marathon). I'll practice on the KRT and "race" on the KRT. I pick the date to best give me a fighting chance (temperature, wind, sun, etc.). And if it doesn't work the first time, I'll try again. And again. 

4. Run 22:04 in a 5K or 45:50 in 10K (McMillan says they are equal). The Mahomet 5K won't be my fastest, but it'll encourage me to train, then run hard on the KRT (or roads) when the weather is cooler. I'd love to beat both 5K and 10K goals, but happy with just one. 

5. Run 40:00 on the 5-mile Lake of the Woods trail course. My best time last year was 42:28. Never really tried to run fast. Think it's been 4-5 years since I hit 40 minutes. Time to turn back the clock. If I'm running a fast mile, 5k, and half-marathon, then I should be able to do a fast 5 miler on the trails. I feel this is the hardest of my goals. 

The race times are based on a 3:35 marathon which would be a Boston qualifying time for my age. Doubt I can run that marathon time, but think I can hit the shorter race equivalents! For 2024 there are no ultramarathon goals, but I will finish one...or two...or three. Not the full Free Ultra QUADfecta, but maybe the TRIfecta. 

No comments: