Monday, April 22, 2024

Random Thoughts on Earth Day

https://vectorportal.com/
On this Earth Day 2024 (April 22), I am thinking of my sister Sandy who passed away 18 years ago. It's been a long time. Still miss her, but some memories are fading. Need to share stories with my brothers so we don't forget. Every April 22 I take the day off of work, run on the trails (Sandy loved nature), donate to local humane society (she loved animals), and think about her and the rest of the family. Today I was tired from running the Allerton Trail half-marathon on the weekend and only managed a slow 2.25 miles at Lake of the Woods. Better than nothing. I'd love to do something extra special for the 20th anniversary of her death in 2026. Something that would remind me of her. Maybe run the April Boston Marathon (close to where she was born). Maybe run the May Avenue of the Giants Marathon (where she used to live). Maybe both. Or the other marathon in Arcata, CA, Redwoods Marathon in October. Or maybe no race and just have a fantastic adventure run...like across the Grand Canyon...and back (R2R2R). Not sure what I'm planning. Just thinking...reaching...hoping. 

Last year on Earth Day I was running the Allerton Trail half-marathon. Finished in 1:58. This year I finished in 1:57. A year older and one minute faster. Guess that is good. Sad thing is I did not finish in top 3 for my age group (50-59) for either race (4th place both years). Lot of fast 50 year-olds out there on the trails! Next year I need to get an age group award. I tend to do better in shorter races. After the Illinois HM (April 27), I have a 5K race on May 4. Guess I'll see if I have any speed left in these old legs.  

As I sit writing this blog post, I'm tired and sore. But I have another half-marathon on the roads this Saturday: Illinois Half Marathon. I'd like to run 1:47 because that will get me a qualifying time for the Last Chance BQ.2 race in Sept (or April). If I can qualify at either race, that will set me up for Boston 2026. My other potential qualifying race would probably be next year's Illinois Marathon. 

Happy Earth Day. Reduce, recycle, reuse. Think about the future. And think about family and friends.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Hey chris -- I'm no longer using these website domains:

ultrablogger.com
ultrabloggers.com
ultrablogging.com

Would you have any interest in purchasing?

You can text me directly at 7247144379