Sunday, October 20, 2024

Quadfecta Of DNFs!

Our local trail running group has a series of four free trail ultras that we put together and call the "Free Ultra Quadfecta." It consists of:

  1. January Riddle Run 28 miler
  2. July Backyard Ultra ("Last Man Standing")
  3. October Allerton Trail 29 miler
  4. December Clinton Lake Winter Solstice 30 miler
I participate in all of them, and in the past have finished them, but not this past year. Going back to last December, I am now 0-4. Stopped at 20 miles at Clinton Lake, Riddle Run, and Last Man Standing (Backyard Ultra), then 18 miles at Allerton Ultra. DNF x 4. A special "Quadfecta"! Now have the Clinton Lake Winter Solstice on December 21. Will that be my turning point? Can I finish those tough 30 miles? We'll see! I'll be at the start and I'm confident I can get my standard 20 miles...but 30 miles is a lot farther than 20 miles! 

I have the Allerton Trail race next weekend (5.7 miles), then training for the Clinton Lake Winter Solstice ultra! Good times with friends. If reasonable weather, then maybe 30 miles is possible. 

No comments: