Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hood to Coast Substitute?

I was on a Hood to Coast relay team last year. HTC is the oldest and largest relay in the country. Twelve member teams race from Mt Hood to the Pacific Ocean (about 200 miles). Each person does three legs of about 5-7 miles each. I had a grand time (this was my first relay ever!) and thought about joining the group again. My brother and nephew were on the team and it would be neat to see if we could each improve our times. Unfortunately, we didn't get in for 2008.

Our team leader from last year suggested we try for a different relay--the RAGNAR relay run from the Canadian/Washington state border to Seattle (Whidbey Island). Almost 190 miles with a twelve member team. Sounds similar to HTC...and we finish in Seattle (which is "home" since my brother lives there). Only potential conflict is that it occurs just a week or so after the Badwater 135 race in Death Valley. I'm not running Badwater, but I'd crew again if one of my buffalo friends got accepted. A week in the lush, temperate Northwest or a week in desolate, dry, and hot Death Valley? Time will tell. I think Badwater sends its race acceptances in February. I sure would like to scale Mt Whitney again! Badwater and Mt Whitney photos on my Flickr site.

No comments: