Friday, June 12, 2009

Riddle Fired, Goggins Hired

Catchy title for this post, eh? Jeff is now fired as my motivational coach and David is hired. I am transitioning to a more serious training schedule and I need serious motivation. Riddle just doesn't cut it anymore! I'll keep Jeff on as my occasional consultant and running partner. He knows more about running than almost anyone I know. And he's a great running historian too. That counts for something. He's just not the best at saying "Get your ass out there and run!" or "Double your miles this week!" or "Suck it up!" Goggins will let me know that "Pain is my friend!" The pictures on the left are from David Goggin's web site (pre & post running). If you desire motivation to run, check out his web site and blog. Before I forget, I wish David the best in his recovery from heart surgery (he recently had a heart defect repaired--see his most recent blog posts).

Here is an example quote from my new coach's web page and blog:

(David Goggins February 22, 2009 post entitled "Enjoy Pain")
A lot of people think that I have been running my whole life. The fact is that I hadn't even ran a marathon until November 2005. I came off of a deployment from Iraq and I heard that several SEAL/s had been killed in a combat situation. I wanted to do something to raise money for their families. Being a SEAL, I knew that selling hot dogs and having a bake sale wouldn't do it. So, I googled the 10 hardest events in the world and the Badwater 135 came up. I called the race director and explained the situation. He was somewhat amused that I had never even ran a marathon and wanted to attempt one of the hardest foot races in the world. After talking with him he made it very clear that this race wasn't to be taken lightly and that I would have to qualify in order to participate in the race. I had to qualify by running 100 miles in 24 hours. It just so happened that there was a race in San Diego the following weekend. It was a 24 hour race where your run straight for 24 hours around a 1 mile track. So, six days later my wife and I grabed a lawn chair, lunch box cooler, myoplex, and ritz crackers to take to the race. That's right... only those items. Also keep in mind that I weighed a lot at the time. I took off running and felt good for about 70 miles. Then I stopped to take a break. That was the first problem.....I sat down in the lawn chair and my blood pressure went crazy due to poor nutrition. I sat there for about 10 minutes and I had to go to the bathroom really bad. When I attempted to stand, I quickly realized how bad of shape I was really in. I was so dizzy that I couldn't stand for a second. So, after retaking my seat in the chair I looked at my wife and told her that I had to go to the bathroom. She looked at me confused. So, I told her more clearly... "I'm going to take a s*** on myself in this chair." And so I did... I then saw the blood running down my leg when I urinated. My wife being a nurse informed me that my kidney's were shutting down and that I needed to go to the hospital. I told her that I had 30 miles left. She helped me up and we started walking around the track at a 35 minute mile pace. I asked her If I would complete the 100 miles in 24 hours at this pace and she said no. So, I did what I had to do and some how by the grace of God started running again. I completed 101 miles in just under 19 hours. I had broken all the small bones in my feet and my kidneys were failing. My wife drove the car onto the race course and put me into the back of the car. We live on the second floor of an apartment complex and we had to somehow get up the stairs. So, I draped my arms around her neck from behind and she had to practically drag me up the stairs. After she me in the shower and she saw that I was urinating dark dirt brown, she begged me once again to go to the hospital. I looked her in the eye and said.... Just let me enjoy this pain I'm in. And I did. I enjoyed how hard I had just pushed myself and I wanted to feel every bit of that.

Now this guy knows how to run and motivate people! I have already changed my running routine based on Goggins' philosophy. Almost everyday I run hard. Not for the whole run, but at least a portion of the run is hard. My new main training staple is a Kenyan progression run. I start very slow and easy (10 minute/mile pace) and end up running hard and fast (6:45 minute/mile pace). I do this almost every morning on the treadmill. It's easy to adjust the pace faster and faster on the treadmill. Hit the + button and it goes faster by 6 seconds/mile. Keep doing that over 4-5 miles and you are eventually running hard. I hope to be going 6:00 pace at the end of these runs in a couple months.

I haven't gone completely crazy. I will temper my fast run schedule with easy runs...done with consultant Jeff! Probably twice a week I'll run with Riddle at his easy pace. That translates into jog-walks averaging 12:00 pace or slower. This will allow me to recharge my batteries (mind and body) so I'll be able to get back to enjoying pain on my Goggin's runs. I even imagine taking a full week off every couple months and doing only Riddle runs at easy pace. By the end of 7 days with Jeff I'll be eager for some pain. This new "Riddle-Goggins" training seems perfect. I'll let you know how it works. I have several short road races planned over the next 2 months to test my training.

Based on their personalities, here is an example future coaching conversation...
Chris: "It's rather hot today, should I change my planned training routine?"
Jeff: "Yes, we must remain flexible. Take today as an easy day and run only in the early morning. No need to run hard in this heat."
David: "You bet--you will double your normal miles and run in the mid-day heat! You need to get acclimated for Howl at the Moon!"

Please note that I am not paying either of these "coaches" of mine. Also note that neither Jeff nor David know they are my coaches.

No comments: