Friday, February 12, 2010

Test Run #9

I had a bit of a scare this week.  Wednesday morning I did my typical steady state tempo run at around 7:30 pace.  I felt so good at the end, I decided to kick it up a notch...way up!  I got the treadmill just over the 11mph mark (around 5:30 pace).  It only lasted for 400m (1/4 mile)...and it hobbled me.  As soon as I dropped it back to a fast walk, I began to limp.  My left knee was killing me.  It was hard to even get off the treadmill and walk to my car.  You shouldn't challenge the running gods--you might get a thunderbolt in the knee.  I had no business running that fast...and it served no purpose except to inflate my ego...until the gods struck me down.  My knee got slowly better over the rest of the day and felt just a little sore yesterday for my easy run with Jeff.  Today it felt OK...but would it hold up to my test run at 8:00 pace?

Here are my stats...

Friday, February 12, 2010
3 miles @ 8:00 pace
(Changes from last week and then back to my initial baseline run)
Avg HR = 145 (-3 beats, -10 beats)
Peak HR = 155 (-4 beats, -10 beats)
Resting HR = 51 (-3 beats, -3 beats)
Weight = 169 (-1 pound, -5 pounds)

This run felt easy...and look at those numbers.  Green.  Green.  Green.  Green.  That's a grand slam!   Four improvements from last week. I survived my brush with fate and I've learned my lesson.  No more intense speed work.  The gods have humbled me.  Another violation on my part and Zeus will turn into a giant bull and gore me.  I don't want that.  Neither do you.  Don't tempt the gods.

No comments: