Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Think Easy, Light, Smooth, and Fast

From the book Born to Run, I remember a quote from Caballo Blanco:

“Think Easy, Light, Smooth, and Fast. You start with easy, because if that’s all you get, that’s not so bad. Then work on light. Make it effortless, like you don’t give a shit how high the hill is or how far you’ve got to go. When you’ve practiced that so long that you forget you’re practicing, you work on making it smooooooth. You won’t have to worry about the last one – you get those three, and you’ll be fast.”
 
Yes, first easy, light, and smooth. Speed will follow. Your stride and foot fall should be short, quick, and easy. Smooth and gentle. Fast will follow. Easier said then done. Try running barefoot and you'll automatically run light and smooth. You'll touch the earth lightly. Gently. Not sure I've ever achieved the fast part...but that is secondary. Easy. Light. Smooth. Those are important.

Thanks, Caballo Blanco. The "white horse" had this one right. May you rest in peace (1954-2012). Those words of wisdom have changed my running life.

If you are interested in continuing Caballo Blanco's mission of helping the Raramuri ("Tarahumara" Indians of the Copper Canyon region of Mexico), check out this information and donation page:

Norawas de Raramuri
http://www.norawas.org

Hope the Copper Canyon ultra race will continue as well.

2 comments:

denalifc said...

Nice post Chris, thanks for sharing. I was lucky to hear Micah talk before the 2009 JJ100 race when I went down to Arizona to crew/pace my friend (plus volunteer for the race before Steve needed me). Great talk about many things but mostly the people of Cooper Canyon and their life. Good memories. He'll be greatly missed.

Chris Ⓥ said...

Thanks Ian. Wish I had met him...or even better...run the CCUM down in Mexico. Maybe someday I'll make my way down there and feel the spirit of the white horse.