Friday, December 6, 2013

Only Three Runs

The left calf is improving (still a little tight) and the right rib is bearable. I've even been able to incorporate some speed sessions into my training. Things are looking up! I've been experimenting the last 2 weeks with different runs and cross training/weights. My original goal was to do 4 runs/week--three hard (long for endurance, tempo for lactate-threshold, and intervals for VO2 max and leg speed) plus one easy. I'm not sure, but I think I'm going to toss the "easy" run off the schedule and just do three runs per week. This is basically the "Run Less, Run Faster" routine. If I also do 2 cross-training sessions/week, it will be exactly the same program. Here is a Runner's World article that features the system. I realize it's only been 2 weeks, but I am already enjoying the time off and the hard intensity workouts.

Here was my last "interval" workout from the treadmill (not as fast as I should go, but I was easing into this program). For my 3:25 marathon goal, paces should range from 6:05-6:30 per mile depending on length of the repeat. You can click on "View Details" to see all the detailed Garmin info and graphs. Pretty cool data.



And here is a "tempo" run from today, also on the treadmill (the blip on the graphs is me stopping to tie my shoe). For my goals, tempo runs are done around 7:05 pace (this one was actually a little faster!).



The third element in this program is a long run. For an ultra runner, the long run should be the easiest and least anxiety producing of the three key weekly sessions....but this program has fast-paced long runs (for me, around 8:15 pace for 15-20 miles). I am actually more comfortable with the short repeat/intervals and tempo workouts than the darn long runs! Crazy.

Wish me well in this new training endeavor. I'll post updates throughout the winter. For all of the runs, I hope to see faster paces at the same heart rate...or same paces at a lower hear rate. Best laid plans of mice and men! Hard to believe this "ultra runner" is doing less running...and actually hopes to perform better at all race distances.


No comments: