Saturday, November 30, 2013

If It Ain't One Thing, It's Another!

A couple of weeks ago, I strained my left calf. I should have known better. This has been a "regular" injury of mine and I know what it feels like as it is coming on. I should have pulled back and stopped running, but I didn't. Fortunately, I did stop before it was too bad. Now, over the last two weeks, I've babied the calf and things have gotten much better. The calf is at 90% right now. That's a huge improvement in just two weeks. Lots to give thanks for...until a new problem arose.

Now I'm sidelined by a rib injury! I was at the gym mid-week and felt a strain in my right side as I did some weights. I didn't think much of it at the time, but it got progressively more painful afterward and it's hurt every since. In fact, I have a hard time running without pain. Two very slow runs ended with me walking. Today's run was 90% walking. I thought after I warmed up, the rib would feel better. It didn't. It's hard to sleep since any time I roll around, it stresses the rib and wakes me up. Even sitting up or getting out of bed hurts...anything that engages my core also engages the rib cage! FYI, running engages your core. Hope this new injury heals up soon. I'm looking forward to some pain free running. I assume this injury is a strain of the intercostal muscles and should be fine without any special medical intervention.

If it ain't one thing, it's another. At least this new rib injury is a new one. I didn't think it would impact my running. Oh well, live and learn. Ribs are connected to running. And breathing. Hope ribs heal faster than calves. I knew weight-training would have it's risks!

2 comments:

Trunil said...

Wish you a fast recovery!

Chris Ⓥ said...

Thanks Trunil. I think it'll be fine in abut another week.