Sunday, March 22, 2015

I Like Being Fit

I like being fit. I like being healthy. I like being able to run whenever I want. I REALLY like being able to run long whenever I, or a friend, wants to run long. Ten miles? No problem. 15 miles? Why not. Twenty miles? Sure. How about a full marathon or ultra? Absolutely! Call me or send me an email and I'm up for any training run. It's a fantastic feeling being ready to run.

You give me a couple of days notice, and I'll run just about any distance you want. How many people can say that? And actually follow through? A 10 miler is nothing. Lately, even 20 milers are just fine and don't require any special planning. What a grand feeling to be ready to run. Anytime. It truly is nice being fit. I'm not yet in "race shape," but I'm getting close. The first step toward good racing is consistent, injury-free training. Build a solid base and you'll be ready for anything. The great thing about running is that you are rewarded for hard work. No short cuts, just straight-forward training.

If you are currently having a hard time running 3 miles...stick to it. Soon that 3 mile run will become easy. Same with 5 miles, 10 miles, even 20 miles. I'm not sure if a marathon or ultra ever really becomes easy, but they become doable and less daunting over time. Dream big, train consistently, and you'll start checking off more and more running goals. It's all about YOU becoming better today than you were yesterday. Not better than someone else, but better than you used to be.

No comments: