Monday, April 18, 2016

Difference a Week (or 10 days) Makes

Two weeks ago, heck, just 10 days ago, I was barely running 2 miles at slower than 10 minute pace. And it felt hard. Yesterday, I ran 7 miles under 9 minute pace. Improvement. Now I just need to keep that trend going over the next 2 weeks as I approach the Illinois Half-Marathon! If I can double the distance _and_ cut the pace by another minute per mile, it won't be a terrible half-marathon effort. No personal best, but respectable. Hope springs eternal.

I guess having a bad cold does impact your running. When you're in the middle of it, it seems like you'll never get back to normal. Every step is a hurdle. Now that I'm recovered, I appreciate each day of being healthy and running. 2 miles, 5 miles, 7 miles. Some steps are certainly tough. But all are good. After the half-marathon, I'll start knocking out long runs...15 miles, 18 miles, 20 miles. Those miles won't all be easy, but they'll be appreciated. Health leads to happiness. Healthy, happy, and fit. That's my goal. For the next 30+ years.

If you're struggling with illness or injury, hang in there. It will get better. Maybe it'll be a week. 10 days. A month. Even a year. Hang in there. Once you make it to the other side, you'll be stronger.

No comments: