I have 89 days (about 3 full months) to train for the Jack and Jill's Downhill Marathon on July 31. How do I spend those 3 months?
According to Coach Jeff, here is the plan:
- 2 workouts of 2 loops of Clinton trail (10-mile trail loop) separated by 3 weeks: to get you use to the marathon time on the feet and the downhills.
- 1 workout consisting of a 10 mile or half-marathon RACE 4-6 weeks minimum before marathon race.
- Tempo run of 5 miles or less: max of 1 per 3 weeks.
- None of the above for 3 weeks (rest and recovery after half-marathon race).
- NO speed work. Period.
- Other daily runs: whatever, as long as they have NO focus. Run easy and under control.