Sunday, October 9, 2016

You Can't Always Get What You Want

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

I'd love to run a new personal record at my 5K race next weekend. But it won't happen. I'm not ready. And I'm getting older. PRs don't just happen. They are made. They take work. And a little luck. Just because I want it, doesn't make it happen. But if I try, I might get what I need. The 5K will be a great chance to benchmark my current training and help me plan for the future. And, as a quick tempo effort, it will be a great stimulus for improvement. I need to embrace the race for what it is...a chance to get what I need...not necessarily what I want.

Same idea applies to my 50 mile race in mid-November. With less than 5 weeks to go, I don't have much time to train. I want to run a personal record at Tunnel Hill 50M, but that is more of a dream than a real possibility. If everything goes well, I may be close. But guess what? I may not get what I want, but if I try, I might get what I need. I need to finish the year on a good note. Not a PR, but a solid effort that I am proud to embrace. I can do that...if I try.

Today I was thinking about skipping my 5K next weekend and maybe even taking a DNS or DNF at Tunnel Hill 50-Miler. Those thoughts came from fear of failure. But failure, or success, is defined by us. Fortunately, the Rolling Stones, channeled via my iPod, pointed me in the right direction. For the next few weeks, I'm going to put in the effort, give it a real try, and see what happens. I'm confident I'll get what I need. If I'm lucky, I might even get what I want!

No comments: