Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Run Streak Over

The streak is over. Well, that didn't take long. I made it 26 days straight for my run-streak. My best streaking attempt was 101 days. This time, I thought I would make it to January 1st (39 days), then decide whether to continue. Guess I don't need to make that decision now! I'm not streaking. It's over. And I feel good about it. Yesterday, I skipped my morning run thinking I'd do a few loops of the neighborhood after work. Well, after work I was tired and hungry, so I ate (and drank beer), but did not run. In fact, I napped for about 30 minutes after eating. Woke up, pondered going for a run, then watched TV and read until falling asleep again. No run.

This morning I woke feeling refreshed. No pressure. Run or don't. Doesn't matter. Yet I felt like running. And I wanted to run fast. With ice still around, I decided to hit the gym and run on the treadmill. Normally a miserable experience, this time it felt great. I started slowly and kept picking up the pace until it felt just right. Settled on 7:47/mile pace. Kept it there for about 2 miles, then cooled down. It was the best run I've had in more than a month. Looking forward to hitting the trails soon.

My new "running streak" is a commitment to not take 2 consecutive days off. Essentially, this is a "don't start a non-running-streak" type of promise. That I can do. (I think.)

Happy running. Stay warm. After today, the days start getting longer. It's a great time to be a runner!

No comments: