Sunday, August 27, 2017

4 Races for Rest of the Year

It's almost time to race. Hard. With 4 months left in this year, I have 4 races on my schedule. This hasn't been my best year for racing, but my training has been OK. I've tried to focus on speed and stamina rather than simply endurance (like I have in the past). Time to test myself in a series of races. Here are my 4 planned races for the remainder of 2017:

October 7: Indy Half-Marathon at Fort Ben
My goal is to run around 1:35 for this half-marathon. If my training goes well, and the weather is cool and crisp, I have a good chance. I've never done this race, so it'll be exciting and new. Hotel is already booked for the night before and the wife and I will make a weekend out of the event. Hopefully, celebratory!

October 21: IMP 5K (Champaign, IL)
My goal is a 20:30 finish. This is a local 5K race around the main Quad at the University of Illinois. Helps raise funds for the Illini Mentor Program. Good cause. Easy course. Comfortable setting (one block from my office on campus). This short race should help me build leg speed and make the half-marathon pace feel easy. Never easy racing against students aged 18-22!

November 4: Indy Monumental Half-Marathon
My goal is a shiny new personal record, maybe 1:32:00. This is my goal race. The first half-marathon (one month before) will let me know how my training is going. And help me gauge race-day tactics. It shouldn't be warm in early November. Hopefully not too cold and windy. Haven't run this one either, but I hear it's pretty flat and fast. Good.

December 9: Deer Run 8K (Hudson, IL)
My goal here? Just run hard and enjoy the event. I've run it several times, but not in the last few years. It's a cross-country race with hurdles. Good stuff! My local trail course is a 5-mile loop--basically the same as the 8K distance. The race course is fairly similar in nature to my local trails too--rolling, grass trails. Nothing too steep or technical, but not super easy either. Deceptively difficult over the full 5 miles (or 8K). Anyone can run hard for 5 miles, right?

No comments: