Saturday, October 28, 2017

Running Gods Struck Me Down

I've been running fairly well lately. Good combination of runs (speed, tempo, endurance) and cross training. Plus, I've raced myself into shape with a recent 5K and half-marathon. Allerton trail race is this weekend, followed by the Monumental Half-Marathon next weekend. I was feeling strong and dreaming of racing success. Maybe I was getting a bit cocky. All was good...until the running gods struck me down! Damn them.

Thursday morning started like any other. Wake up early, get out into the darkness, walk, jog, then develop into a steady running pace. Except I tripped and fell on a strip of road gravel. I hate gravel. My hands took a beating (even through my running gloves). More importantly, my right knee got badly scraped and bruised. I now walk gingerly with a limp. No running. No racing. I'll skip Allerton trail race tomorrow. Hope I can run, not race, the Indy half-marathon next weekend. I've been humbled. Now I just want to heal and run again without pain. Racing will come later.

Appreciate what you have. Healthy, injury-free, running is pretty good. Respect the running gods. Stay humble. And avoid gravel.

No comments: