Sunday, September 30, 2018

Aruna 5K Race Report

Ran my first 5km race of the year yesterday at the University of Illinois arboretum. I've never run this specific Aruna 5K race before, but I've run several races that use the same arboretum course. It's 100% grass with one big hill (encountered twice). Not fast, but not the hardest course either. This run was to support the Aruna project that helps free and empower sex slaves around the world. Good cause. For me, in addition to supporting a great cause, it was an opportunity for a speed check before my half-marathon in one week.

The weather was good, the course was good, and the race support was good. I ran a 22:13. It was fast enough for first in age group (40-55) and 6th overall. About 200 registered for the race, but more than half were walking. It was a very family-friendly casual run/walk. I tried to stay with the leaders for as long as I could--about one mile. I was breathing pretty hard and my heart rate was at the top of lactate threshold (average HR=168). Probably could have pushed a little harder, but this was a solid effort. I'm happy. I also know what I need to change so I can perform better--more regular speed work. I think 1-mile repeats and 3-mile tempo runs would work perfectly. Next time I'll be ready.

Now I need to rest and taper for the Half at Fort Ben (Indianapolis) next weekend. Slower pace, longer distance. Another test--this time of stamina. It's a stepping stone to the Monumental Half-Marathon in early November.

No comments: