Friday, May 31, 2019

75% Run, 25% Walk

I've been doing the Jeff Galloway run-walk plan for about 4 weeks now. At first, I disliked the walking portions. And dreaded looking at my slow average pace. Now, the run-walk pattern is a welcomed technique. If I'm tired and lazy, I can still summon just enough motivation to get out the door since I know it'll be an easy run-walk. I'm currently doing 3 minute run, 1 minute walk. Who can't run for 3 minutes? Too hot? Nope...it's only 3 minutes of running with a 1-minute walk recovery! I even find myself wanting to cut the walk section short and start running sooner. Guess that's a good sign. My Garmin watch is set to vibrate/beep for each change in run vs walk. I need to just relax and let the watch tell me what to do. At some point, when my runs are longer, I'll truly value that full minute of rest.

I'm still recovering from a nasty cold and sinus infection so my overall pace, and distance of runs, is rather easy. Once healthy, I'll increase the run pace and also the total distance. Might even switch to a 4-1 run-walk strategy. My guess is I'll use 4-1 for Howl at the Moon 8-hour and also Tunnel Hill 50 miler. 80% running is pretty good for a long ultra. For now, 75% is just fine. Run, walk, run, walk, run, walk. Sounds like an ultra runner credo. Works for me!

No comments: