Thursday, March 12, 2020

April 2020 Illinois Marathon Cancelled (Postponed)

The Illinois Marathon officially postponed the April 25th race to the "second half of the year" due to coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions on events at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana. This comes as a relief since I was not ready for this race. But, I still have the Last Chance BQ.2 race on April 18 in Geneva, IL. It's a small event (~300 runners), but since it is a Chicago suburb, there could easily be restrictions on gatherings of 250+ people announced before race day. Again, I would be happy if this race was postponed to fall. I'll be ready for a fast marathon in September or October. But, I already have at two half-marathons in Indianapolis this fall (Oct and Nov). Yikes! We shall see. No worries for now. Keep training. Keep progressing, Stay healthy.

With all of these races and other athletic events being cancelled, I cannot imagine the Boston Marathon, or London Marathon, going forward as planned. Better safe than sorry.

No comments: