Tuesday, July 21, 2020

If I Could Only Have One Running Shoe (or running shoe brand)

I have been buying and running in lots of different shoes over the last few months. Well, actually the last few years. I'm not that guy that buys the Nike Pegasus over and over again. Some shoes have worked, others have been big failures. Some just blah. But I always keep thinking, dreaming, of that "next best" shoe! Seems us runners can never settle on one good shoe (or shoe brand). We always want that next better shoe. Many times it isn't better! Often simply best to stick with a shoe that works for you. It's good enough! I've been thinking a lot about what I would select as my ONE running shoe (if I had to pick just one).

If I could only have one shoe for my running, training, racing...it would be the Skechers GoRun Ride 8. I've run in this shoe since it was version 1. I assume version 9 or 10 will be just as good. It is not the best at ANYTHING, but it is really good at almost EVERYTHING. Not the lightest shoe, but it's not heavy either. Cushioned, but not soft. It can be a daily trainer, but I've also raced in it. Tempo runs? Sure. Long? Yes. Durable too. And pretty comfy. It is a jack-of-all-trades shoe. It would be my pick if I could only use one running shoe for everything. It would suffer on trails, but is still OK on groomed dirt and grass trails.

Instead of one running shoe model, what If I could pick one running brand? I think I'd select Hoka. I do love me some Skechers, but they do not have very good trail options. Hoka has many models for racing, trails, roads, and ultras. Imagine a rotation of the Clifton for daily training, Rincon for faster tempos, Challenger ATR for basic trails, EVO Speedgoat (or Torrent) for trail racing, Carbon X for road racing, and Bondi for recovery or super long runs. Not too bad!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Skechers is a good do it all daily trainer. Just purchased the Reebok Symmetros to replace it. I found the Reebok has smoother transitions, picks up the pace easier and has a far more breathable upper. Superior to Hoka Rincon too. You should check it out. :)

Chris Ⓥ said...

I'll have to check out the Reebok Symmetros. Never heard of it until now! Thanks for the suggestion.