Wednesday, December 30, 2020

My "Shoe(s) of the Year" for 2020

It's the end of the year, so it's time to make picks for various "best of" categories. Today I look back on my 2020 running shoes. I wanted to pick just one shoe, but two came to mind as my best shoes of the year. In all honesty, these are probably not the best shoes from a technical or performance standpoint, but they worked for me. They each put a smile on my face...for different reasons. 

Nike React Infinity Run FK. What is the easiest way to determine what shoe you liked the most? Look at how many miles are on each shoe! For me, the Nike React Infinity Run was used more than any other shoe this year. It is not really the best at anything, but it works. Lots of cushioning, wide toebox, durable outsole, nice upper, and reasonable traction (even on grass and dirt trails). Plus, it seems to help my plantar fasciitis. The only drawback is weight--it's a little heavy (10.27 oz for US 10, 12 oz for my US size 13). Fortunately, the weight issue does not bother me while running. Supposedly a new version coming in early 2021. I'll buy it. Not the most exciting shoe, but it does make me smile. It works. 

Atreyu Voyager. How often does a brand new running company emerge? Not often! Atreyu started this summer out of Austin, TX. They have a unique subscription model where you sign up to receive shoes on a regular basis--I get a new pair every 3 months. And it costs $55. Only one model right now, but they will release a carbon plated racer next year ($100). Why do I like the Atreyu Voyager? It is extremely lightweight (6 oz in US size 9, 7.4 oz in my size 13). Lightest shoe I own. Plus, it is simple--no fancy extras. Just a basic running shoe. Good upper, reasonable cushioning, and wide toebox. Because it is so light, it feels great while running. It's like a running slipper. Just fun. Smiles all around. 

PS: Still love my Nike ZoomX Vaporfly Next%. Best racer out there! 

No comments: