Thursday, December 31, 2020

Running High & Low Points of 2020

2020 has been a crazy year. Wildfires. Hurricanes. Police shootings. Black lives matter. COVID-19 pandemic. Stay at home orders. Zoom. Trump. I'm sure 2021 will be better. As far as my running went, 2020 was a pretty good year. Many highlights, plus a few lows. 

Highlights:

  • Most miles run in one year: 1716
  • Best 1-mile time ever: 5:51
  • Best 5k time in 5+ years: 19:52
  • Best 10k time ever: 41:16
  • Best half-marathon time in 5+ years: 1:36:22
  • Longest break from running: 2 days
Low Points:
  • No races! None. Nada. Zip. Damn COVID-19!
  • Plantar Fasciitis in November-December
  • No ultras/marathons run all year
Overall, this was one of my best running years ever. No races meant more "basic" training, thus more miles. Also, I could run solo time trials whenever I felt ready. Pandemic work at home orders meant no commute and more running time (plus more flexible schedule for running). Being at home meant better meals (thanks wife!). I quit my local gym and started doing a little more strength and stretching routines. Not the best, but I'll modify and continue in 2021. Consistency is king (for running and strength). My main (running) complaint for 2020 was lack of longer runs and marathons/ultras. My choice. I focused on speed and consistent running which precluded really long runs. 

Tomorrow I'll review my 2020 "goals for the year" and see how I did. Then planning and goals for 2021 will be set and published here! Hope your 2020 was OK. And I wish everyone the best in 2021. 

No comments: