Friday, April 23, 2021

Earth Day Success

Yesterday, April 22, was Earth Day. It was also the day my sister Sandy died back in 2006. Sandy was an outdoor enthusiast and believed in environmental issues so it's fitting to celebrate her life and the Earth on the same day. Ever since her death, I have a tradition for every April 22:

  • Take the day off from work (time to have introspection)
  • Run trails (connects me to nature)
  • Donate to local humane society (Sandy loved animals)
  • Register for Howl at the Moon 8-hour ultra (reg opens on Earth Day!)
  • Raise a beer and toast my sister (good way to end the day)
Yesterday, I achieved all of the above goals. Ran at three different Champaign County forest preserves (Lake of the Woods, River Bend, and Sangamon River), donated to CC Humane Society, got on the Howl race wait list, and ate outside at Guidos Bar and Grill in downtown Champaign with a tasty amber ale. I cannot believe it's been 15 years. Still miss my sister. 

NOTE: Howl at the Moon ultra only has a wait list this year since COVID is still creating uncertainty. I am on the list and feel 99% sure I'll be running on August 14! 

No comments: