Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Hellah Running Across the Country!

Me and Hellah!
Last week I met up and ran about 8 miles with a guy running across the country from Los Angeles to New York City! He was running through central Illinois, so why not track him down and get in a few miles? His name is Hellah Sidibe. We met up outside Tuscola, IL and ran into town. He has a friend driving an RV and his girlfriend in an SUV support vehicle. It was a great time running and chatting with Hellah. I knew we'd have more in common than just running. Yes, I am an ultrarunner and he's running across the country--that's a good start for common conversations about distance running, walking hills, eating, drinking, sleeping, recovery tricks, etc. But we also have a few other traits in common: he's vegan and I'm vegetarian, we both love soccer and are Chelsea fans, and we both seem to lean slightly progressive on the political spectrum. So why is this guy running across the country? It's to raise money for a charity: Soles4souls. And to generally promote a healthy lifestyle and inspire others to run and exercise. His goal was to finish in less than 100 days. I think he'll do it! He's currently in Ohio and heading east at about 40+ miles per day. I wish him the best. 

Soles4souls charity donation link: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Hellahgood

In addition to his web site, Hellah has several social media channels. I found him on his YouTube page which documents his daily running streak (4 years) and has lots of inspiration to start and keep running. All are good follows. 

Instagram: @hellahgood9

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HellahGood/about

Twitter: @hellahgood9

Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/28695480

Special thanks to my wife for dropping me off when we found Hellah running on the side of US 36, then waiting for almost 2 hours before picking me up back in Tuscola and driving home. You're the best.

No comments: