Monday, November 9, 2009

Current Trail Conditions

Right now the Clinton Lake northfork trail (that's the race course!) is in very good shape. Lots of leaves covering the trail, but it's dry and most debris (fallen trees, branches, briars, etc) is off the trail. It takes a bit more focus to run when the trail is covered with leaves, but it is easy to see the white flashes on the trees that mark the course. In the spirit of keeping people up-to-date on trail conditions, I have added a new component to this blog..."Trail Condition" on the top left of the blog. I'll update current trail conditions when I run the course (or have trusted friends run it). It'll be a quick rating with color code and date. Green is good, red is bad, yellow/orange is okay. Current conditions are...very good. Be forewarned that conditions can change quickly. I'm stating the condition based on the date cited. Heavy rain or high winds can bring flooding and downed trees in just a few hours. Ice storms can topple tons of trees. It's not a foolproof rating...but it is better than nothing. Usually trail conditions change slowly over time and thus a rating like this can be a nice guide. Hope it helps.

4 comments:

Judy Tolliver said...

What's the diff between bad and mediocre? How about good, okay, and bad?

Chris Ⓥ said...

Fine--I've made the change. I'll actually just use whatever rating term that comes to mind: Very Good, Okay, Great, Sucky, Bad, Poor...

donna c said...

I did 20 there yesterday...what an awesome day! I also stood at the place where the picture for the race website was taken for grins.

The trail is in fantastic shape!

The leaves are thick though, and as well as I know the trail I did end up off it once or twice.

Chris Ⓥ said...

I hope to be out there Sat & Sun. It's going to be a good weekend for running!