Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas Running Book Windfall

Santa treated me well yesterday.  (Thanks wife.)  Among other gifts, I received 7 running-related books!  That brings my "running library" to a total of 129 books.  The "My Library" link on the right side of the blog allows you to browse all of them.  One random book is displayed each time you come to the blog.  It's been less than 24 hours, so I haven't read them all, but here are my first "one sentence" thoughts on the 7 new books:

Danny Abshire, 2010, Natural Running
Not about barefoot running, but rather running "like you were barefoot" in minimalist shoes.

Jason Robillard, 2010, The Barefoot Running Book (2nd edition)
I already had the first smaller edition--this one is still well-written, but more comprehensive.

Daniel Howell, 2010, The Barefoot Book
Not about running per se, but rather a guide to being barefoot all the time and the advantages of freeing your feet.

Phil Maffetone, 2010, The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing
This is a BIG book (500+ pages) that pulls together a lot of Maffetone's previous works.

Puleo & Milroy, 2010, Running Anatomy
Helps to know the actual physiology underlying running.

John Parker Jr, 2009, Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot (3rd ed)
Very well written and practical guide to using a heart rate monitor to improve your running and racing.

Ed Furtaw, 2010, Tales from Out There
Holy cow...am I going to run the Barkley Marathons now?

In addition to running over the next few vacation days, I'll be reading.  Time to soak up some knowledge, get motivated, and plan for 2011.

No comments: