So, the new plan has lots of potential. Eventually, my calf will settle down and I'll start real speed sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My notion of "speed" work are a combination of the following:
- Steady tempo run at about 80-85% HRR for 20-30 minutes
- Tempo intervals of 5 minutes each at about 85% HRR, with 2 minute jog intervals
- Progression run starting at 9:00 pace and ending at 7:00 pace
- Fartlek run with "random" injections of speed in an otherwise easy paced run
- Track workout of 400m/800m repeats (might do this on treadmill too)
- Long hill repeats (trails or treadmill) with jogging rest periods
The Saturday (or Sunday) long run will range from 12-20 miles. Sometimes on hilly trails, other times on smooth bike paths. I can see occasionally pushing the long run into "tempoish" territory. The other weekend run will be short and easy. Total of 4 runs per week, three hard, one easy. Sounds too simple. Hope this works! It should help me focus through the winter and also provide me with a nice mix of speed, stamina, and endurance heading into spring.
Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. Go for a run and appreciate your health and fitness.