Saturday, June 20, 2015

About 75% of Normal

It's been about 2 weeks since I started to run after being treated for pneumonia. The doctor said it would be about 2-3 weeks of continued coughing, followed by another 6 weeks of "healing" before I'd be back to normal. Well, I'm basically past the coughing stage. Still not "normal."  I'd say I'm around 75% of normal. Still get tired too quickly. I have no endurance and my speed is certainly not back. But...I'm improving.

I haven't had that many days of running to restore my fitness. A work conference this past week in Seattle delayed regular running (but I did get in 2 short runs in Seattle). I have the Howl at the Moon 8-Hour ultra in 49 days. It'll be interesting. I should be back to "normal" by then, but not really fit. Certainly I can still knock off more than 26.2 miles and notch ultra/marathon #100 at Howl.

I need lots of simple aerobic runs to build back my fitness. I'm using my heart rate monitor to keep me in the "easy/aerobic" zone (under 70% heart rate reserve). I've been under 65% for most runs so far. No need to risk injury or a relapse on my way back to health and fitness. Endurance will come with consistent running over time. I think the Howl ultra will be fine. Not great...more of a celebration of long-time running and ultra racing. I'll be happy to complete #100. Then I'll start to worry about ultra/marathon #101...the Barkley Fall Classic in September.

No comments: