Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Run Streak has Cured my Ankle!

I've now run for 13 straight days (very good run streak for me) and my problem ankle is about 95% healthy. I think this run streak cured my ankle! Not sure if this is true, but I believe running short and easy everyday has helped. Today was the first time I ran without thinking about the ankle. And I stopped my icing+Advil routine too. Guess I should keep the streak alive. Now I have the problem of keeping everything under control. Even today I had to hold back a little. I was tempted to push harder and go longer. Not yet.

So how long will this running streak last? Not sure. I started on Thanksgiving (after taking a week off of running to try and heal my ankle). The week off did not make the ankle better. Why not do the opposite and run every single day? It worked. My original thinking was to run from Thanksgiving to New Years Day. Total run streak would be 39 days. I rarely run a full 7-day week so 39 days is a nice little streak for me. Once I hit January 1, why not continue through Riddle Run (28-mile fat ass event on January 28)? That would only be an extra 27 days. Doable! And if I make it to the end of January, why not continue to the first day of spring (March 20)? Hmmmm....

I suppose 13 is my lucky number. Today, on day 13 of my running streak, my ankle is officially "better." Not perfect, but feeling pretty darn good. Need to remind myself how great it is to run without pain. The running streak must work for good, not evil. It should not be the CAUSE of new injuries.

2 comments:

Justin Stewart said...

Chris i enjoy reading your blog from time to time. I ran into the same situation with my ankle. Back in Dec. while bombing down a trail hill at Pere Marquette I partially tore two ligaments in my upper right ankle. After 4-6 weeks of just biking and rest I have finally started running 2-3 miles a day. Slightly stressing it I think has, like you said, helped in aiding the recovery by strengthening it. So it will heal strong and elastic instead of just straight downtime where it heals tight and wound up. I have been biking and climbing stairs and now I'm a week deep of 2-3 miles a day. We'll see how Clinton Lake goes this year. Take care. It was good reading this though.

Chris Ⓥ said...

My ankle is 100% healed and handling my mileage well. No problems even with speed work. Haven't run any tough technical trails yet, but I think it would hold up there too. Good luck at Clinton Lake. I'll be there as a volunteer. Right now, the trails are in fantastic shape.