Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Last Runner Standing DQ

My past "Last Man Standing" trophies.
Last weekend I ran our local "Last Runner Standing" summer race. And I got disqualified! People expect to be "DNF'd" at a Last Runner Standing type of event...only one person completes the event and they win. But a DQ? How? Well, here's my quick summary. I started early. I ran different trail loops than the one specified by the organizers. And I did not wait to start a new loop at the top of each hour. I started when I wanted! Good reasons to be DQ'd. Basically, I ran my own "race" while they were doing the official race. All good. I wouldn't have won anyway. Plus, I had more fun doing "my thing" while still socializing and getting in a great long run. Finished 23.5 miles on the Lake of the Woods trails in the heat, humidity, and bright sun of central Illinois.

So I didn't win. And I was DQ'd. And I didn't get the miles I had planned (25-30 miles). But it was still a successful day. It was my longest run in almost 2 full years!  Yep, this ultrarunner hasn't been running ultras. None in 2018. Last one was way back in summer of 2017. Feel like this long run has catapulted me into ultra training. Need to keep the momentum going. With the Howl at the Moon 8-hour ultra in less than 4 weeks, I really need to keep it going! Hopefully I can keep up the long runs and ultras for the rest of the year. After Howl, I have Tunnel Hill 50 miler and the Winter Solstice 30 miler. Wish me luck.

No comments: